This site uses cookies to enhance your customer experience. Click here to find out more or click here to acknowledge this notice.

Council Services

View search and A to Z

Advice & Benefits

How Do I Make a Claim?

Are you:

  • on a low income?
  • pay rent and/or Council Tax?

If YES to both, you can possibly claim benefit.

It's best to claim straight away, if you delay you may lose benefit.

To get an idea of how much benefit you might be entitled to please use the on-line calculator.

 What else should I know?

  •  If you have recently come from abroad or returned from abroad, there are some extra rules – please contact the Council for more information.
  • Savings over £16,000 usually mean you will not be able to get Housing Benefit.
  • Savings over £6,000 will usually mean you will not be able to get Council Tax Support.
  • There are special rules if you are single and aged under 35 years.
  • Most asylum seekers and people who are sponsored to be in the UK cannot get Housing Benefit.
  • You cannot usually get Housing Benefit if you live in a close relative's household.
  • You cannot usually get Housing Benefit if you are a full-time student, unless you are disabled or have children.

If you wish to claim help towards your rent and Council Tax you can apply online through the link below:

Benefit Online Claim Form

Alternatively, please print off and complete the Benefit Claim Form in the Useful Documents section below or call into one of the following Council Offices:-

The Guildhall
Newcastle Borough Council
High Street
Telephone: 01782 715500

Kidsgrove Town Hall
Liverpool Road

If you claim Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance the Jobcentre will complete an application form over the telephone with you and forward it to the council on your behalf.

If you are in receipt of Pension Credit (Guarantee and/or Savings Credit) the Pensions Service will complete an application form over the telephone with you and forward it to the council on your behalf.

Supporting Evidence

It is important that we can be sure of your identity when you make a claim. We will ask for two separate forms of identity for yourself and partner e.g. driving licence, passport, birth certificate.

We will also need to verifiy you and your partner's National Insurance numbers.

You will need to provide documentary evidence for all income and capital declared on the claim form for both yourself and partner together with income evidence for all non-dependants. Documents that are usually required are listed below:

  • Benefit award letters e.g. Tax Credits, Child Benefit etc
  • 5 weekly/2 monthly consecutive wage slips
  • Bank statements to cover 3 months for all accounts held
  • savings certificates/premium bonds
  • Tenancy agreement, rent book, rent receipts
  • Evidence of occupational pensions
  • Student grants/loans award letters

Important: Please note all documents must be originals, we do not accept photocopies.

If you live in rented accommodation you will also need to complete a Housing Benefit Rent Details Form. If you rent from a private landlord you will also need to complete the Local Housing Allowance Payment Details Form. Both forms can be found under Useful Documents at the bottom of the page.

If you are unable to provide evidence of your wages or benefits received you can print off a Certificate of Benefits Received or a Certificate of Earned Income listed under Useful Documents at the bottom of the page.

Please read the form carefully before completing. Every question on the form must be answered, and you must provide all the evidence necessary. If you fail to do so, you will be asked to provide further information and this could lead to a delay in your claim being processed.

If you do not provide all the required evidence when you initally make the claim the Council will allow you one calendar month to provide any outstanding information. Once you have provided all the information needed to support your claim the Council will aim to process it within 14 days.

If you require help in completing the form or have any questions in relation to applying for help towards your Housing Benefit please contact the Revenues & Benefits Section on 01782 715500.


Bookmark this page using

  • Page Owner: Benefits - 01782 715500
  • Last Updated: 01 December 2014
  • Internet Crystal Mark 044
  • Investers In People Silver