This site uses cookies to enhance your customer experience. Click here to find out more or click here to acknowledge this notice.

Council Services

View search and A to Z


New Gas installer Registration Scheme from 1st April, 2009

New gas installer registration scheme from 1 April 2009Gas Safe Register logo

Gas safety in Great Britain is changing – what does this mean for you?

There is now a new gas registration scheme from 1 April 2009 in England, Scotland and Wales (Great Britain). The new scheme, Gas Safe Register™ is delivered under an agreement with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and replaces the CORGI gas register which ended on 31 March 2009.

In relation to domestic gas under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, landlords’ legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodation, including residential premises provided for rent by private landlords.

It remains a legal requirement for all landlords to have an annual safety check on all gas appliances and flues provided in a rental property. However, from 1 April 2009 a Gas Safe registered engineer, not a CORGI installer, must carry out the safety check.

In all cases, all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) must be certified as safe or otherwise removed before re-letting. A record of safety checks must be provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check, or to each new tenant before they move in. You must also keep a copy of the safety check record for two years. 

Gas Safety Certificate

The ‘Landlord Gas Safety Record’ is often referred to as a ‘Gas Safety Certificate’ or ‘CP12’ form. It is quite acceptable to continue to use this style of certificate – even if it has a CORGI logo or the word CORGI on it. There is no requirement for new paperwork. The important change after 1st April 2009 is to have a check carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

All existing gas safety records will be valid until their expiry date (even if that date is later than 1st April 2009). Any gas safety record given to you after 1st April 2009 will only be valid if the engineer is on the Gas Safe Register.  There is no dual running of the schemes. CORGI will operate the registration scheme in GB until 31 March 2009 and Gas Safe Register will start on 1 April 2009.

If letting or managing agents are involved

As before, by law you must make sure that the letting or management contract clearly specifies who is to make arrangements for maintenance and safety checks on gas equipment and for keeping associated records.  Where specified by the contract, make sure gas appliances and flues are serviced at least once every 12 months or at any other time if there is a safety doubt.  We strongly advise that you request to see copies of the maintenance information and safety check from any agent you use to ensure maintenance has been completed by Gas Safe registered engineer.

Remember, from 1 April 2009, always use a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Be gas safe.

For more information or to check an installer, please visit the website or call 0800 408 5500.

Bookmark this page using

  • Internet Crystal Mark 044
  • Investers In People Silver