This site uses cookies to enhance your customer experience. Click here to find out more or click here to acknowledge this notice.

Council Services

View search and A to Z


Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates

From October, 2008  a landlord has to provide a prospective tenant with a copy of the certificate whenever the property is marketed as available for rent.  A copy of the certificate will need to be issued to any prospective tenant.  Visit the government website for landlord responsabilities.  The certificate will make suggestions of cost effective actions to improve the energy performance of a property, but more importantly will allow prospective tenants to compare buildings on energy performance.  This will be of interest to tenants who may need to consider the running costs of the home.

The cost of producing the certificate will be the property owner’s responsibility. Each certificate will last for ten years but owners can voluntarily get a new certificate after installation of energy efficiency measures - particularly if these improve the energy rating.

The certificate will give each building a SAP rating, and this will equate to an energy rating from A to G similar to those seen on white goods.

How to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate

EPCs can only be produced by accredited energy assessors. They may be employed by a company (such as an estate agent or energy company) or be independent traders. Always check they operate as part of an accreditation scheme, as this ensures your energy assessor is operating to professional standards.

Bookmark this page using

  • Internet Crystal Mark 044
  • Investers In People Silver