Home > All Services > Council Tax and Benefits > Benefits > Changes In My Circumstances

Changes In My Circumstances

If your family's circumstances or income changes, it is your responsibility to tell us. Tell us immediately, as it may affect your benefit, and any resulting overpayment will be reclaimed from you.  If you knowingly give us false information, the money will be reclaimed from you. 

A change of circumstances can only be backdated in your favour for one calendar month. However, if the change results in an overpayment of benefit, there is no time limit.

To give you an idea of the changes we need to know about, these are some of the main things you should tell us:

  • If anyone stops or starts getting Income Support
  • If anyone's income or savings change
  • If anyone stops or starts work
  • If anyone stops or starts getting benefit, for example Jobseeker's Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Tax Credits, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit.
  • If anyone comes to live in your home
  • If anyone already living in your home leaves
  • If anyone stops or starts full-time education, for example, if a child leaves school
  • If you start to let part of your home to someone who pays you rent or board
  • If you or your partner go into a nursing home 
  • You are going away from home for more than six weeks
  • Income details of a young person living with you when they reach the age of 18.

You must tell us immediately of any changes that may affect your entitlement to benefit.  If you wish to report any changes in your circumstances please print and complete the Change in Circumstances Form in the useful documents section and return it to the Council Offices at the address shown or telephone the Benefits Office on 01782 715500.

Last updated 1 April 2020

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page