Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council is committed to its moral and legal responsibility to safeguard all children, young people and vulnerable adults and protect them from abuse when they are engaged in services organised and provided by the Council. We recognise that children and vulnerable adults can be the victims of physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect; we have therefore adopted the following procedures in accordance with statutory guidance and in partnership with the Staffordshire Safeguarding Children’s Board.
- Respect and promote the rights, wishes and feelings of children and vulnerable adults.
- Raise the awareness of the duty of care responsibilities relating to children and vulnerable adults throughout the Council.
- Promote and implement appropriate procedures to safeguard the well-being of children and vulnerable adults to protect them from harm.
- Create a safe and healthy environment within all our services, avoiding situations where abuse or allegations of abuse may occur.
- Recruit, train, support and supervise staff, elected members and volunteers to adopt best practice to safeguard and protect children and vulnerable adults from abuse, and minimise risk to themselves.
- Work with our partners – in particular the Staffordshire Safeguarding Children Board to promote the five outcomes of ‘Every Child Matters’.
- Respond to any allegations of misconduct or abuse of children or vulnerable adults in line with this policy and the Local Area Safeguarding Board and ‘No Secrets’ guidance as well as implementing, where appropriate, the relevant disciplinary and appeals procedures.
- Require all staff, elected members, volunteers and contractors to adopt and abide by the Council’s Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy and Procedures.
- Review and evaluate this Policy document on a regular basis.
- Have a designated person within each directorate with lead responsibility for dealing with any concerns about the protection of children.
Last updated 12 January 2018