£150 Council Tax rebate

Frequently asked questions

Making payment

When will direct debit payers receive payment?

We aim to pay all existing direct debit payers the last week of April 2022. The payment of £150 will be deposited in to your bank account and will be identified as 33333333 CtaxRebate  (this is your council tax account number).

What if the name on the direct debit bank account details does not match a liable person? 

Where direct debit details belong to a third party, we will not pay the third party and the liable person will be expected to claim as a non direct debit person.  A form for this will be applied to our website in due course.

Please note: payments will not be made to a third party.

What if my bank account is overdrawn? 

You can exercise the first right of appropriation on the £150 payment, so that your bank doesn’t use it to pay off any overdraft. A sample letter that you may wish to use to exercise your right of appropriation is available.

Do councils have to write out to every household that receives an automatic payment to inform them of the grounds on which a payment has been made? 

No. It has been determined that information published on the website is sufficient.

As stated above, a direct debit payment will be identified as 33333333 CtaxRebate  (this is your council tax account number).

Can the £150 credit automatically be applied to my council tax account where current payment details are not already held? 

Yes, households that have not applied will have the £150 credited to their Council Tax account before 30 September 2022.

Will my bank details or information that is held for other purposes (for example for housing benefit or local council tax support) be used to administer the rebate?

In principle, yes. We can use any information that is held to administer the rebate (for example to confirm eligibility or to make payments) where we are satisfied that we can lawfully use it under GDPR for administering the rebate.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has written separately to councils to confirm that the rebate will be classified as local welfare provision. This permits councils to use 'Searchlight' for verification purposes in order to administer the discretionary fund.

Eligibility for the council tax rebate 

I have an occupied annexe, will I be entitled to the £150 rebate?

Yes. If you receive a separate bill for the annexe and it is occupied and you pay the energy bill for the annex then you will be entitled to this rebate.

What if my property is not yet banded for council tax?

You must be in occupation by 1 April 2022 and upon confirmation of the property band your application will be considered.

Who is eligible for the rebate in cases where there is a landlord involved? 

A household is eligible for the rebate if it meets the criteria set out below. Payment should be made to a liable council tax payer (or an occupant where the property is exempt) for that household.

Some examples of situations involving tenants, and the expected approach, are as follows:

  • A rental property meets the criteria set out below and councils hold a live council tax direct debit instruction for that property:
    • if the name on the direct debit detailsmatches a liable party, then automatic payment of the rebate can be made
    • if the name on the direct debit details does not match a liable party (for example because the council tax bill is usually paid by the landlord as part of an 'all bills included' tenancy agreement), automatic payment should not be made. Instead, councils should contact a liable party to confirm whether they would like the rebate paid into the existing direct debit account, or to arrange an alternate payment mechanism

Who is eligible for the rebate relating to a home of multiple occupancy (HMO) (for council tax purposes)?

No-one. If the tenants of an HMO for council tax purposes pay energy bills directly, they may be able to access support from their council’s discretionary fund.

What if my household isn't eligible?

Funding is being provided to support vulnerable households who may not qualify for the £150 council tax rebate. This includes people on low incomes in council tax bands E to H.

We will provide more detail soon on how this will be available.

Will I have to repay this rebate?

No. Further information is available on the Gov.UK web site.