Paying Council Tax as a landlord or managing agent

Student households

Due to the amount of administration it takes for registering students for Council Tax, the decision has been taken to register the Council Tax account for a property fully occupied by students, in the landlord’s name with effect from the start of the 2020/21 academic year.

A student exemption will be applied to the account where all occupants are students. This is on the assurance that as a landlord you will inform the authority if any of the occupants cease their course at any time during the year.

The exemption applied to the account will be reviewed each September, by way of issuing you with a form to provide the student’s names and signing a declaration that your property is still occupied by full time students.

Tell us about a change

If an occupier joins or leaves the student household, please let us know.

We are currently in the process of the changing all our forms into online forms. In the meantime, please download and complete the relevant form and send it to us using our online form.