Job Opportunity: Neighbourhood Supervisor
Grade 8 - £32,076 to £34,834 per annum
Average 37 hours per week
- Summer 45 hour week
- Winter 32 hour week (over 4 days)
- Weekend Working When Required
Kutton Lane Depot, Newcastle-under-Lyme
About the job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a skilled and experienced, enthusiastic, organised and effective individual to join Newcastle Borough Councils Streetscene Supervisory Management team.
Streetscene has a focus on delivering excellent service standards to tight deadlines for essential, high-profile services. The service makes a real difference to the way the Borough looks, with work including park and playground management, grass cutting, tree management, street cleansing, litter bin servicing and sustainable management of our land holdings. We are an award winning service, regularly achieving green flag status for several of our parks and achieving gold status in Britain in Bloom.
Have you a proven track record and ability to demonstrate exceptional supervisory and motivational skills with an aptitude for leading by example? This is a hands on role, leading a front line operational team. You will be required to manage and coordinate teams and individuals to ensure operational targets are met, achieve high environmental standards and positively negotiate with other Supervisors. You will manage individuals with a variety of skills sets, have a good knowledge of Streetscene operational activity and an excellent understanding of health and safety in relation to the work activities undertaken.
The role is varied and has a requirement to work in all weather conditions and will require an early start from 6am. You may be leading a team operating ride on mowers one week, a fly-tipping team the next and a street cleansing team another.
We know that services at the frontline improving the environment are changing, and that providing ‘Green Skills’ for staff is an investment in the future. The culture here is all about getting the best out of our team by providing a range of benefits to everyone.
We expect good teamwork, and focus on being accountable, respectful of everybody, and achieving our goals.
- You must have a positive ‘can do’ attitude with a proactive solution based approach for this varied role for where there is only room for team players.
- An ability to communicate clearly and accurately with operational colleagues, managers, customers and councillors is essential.
- You are unlikely to have comprehensive experience across all of our service delivery area but full on the job training will be provided for the successful candidate.
- The post holder is required to hold a full current, valid driving licence to drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg (MAM) (with a trailer up to 750kg).
Why work for us?
Newcastle-under-Lyme is a borough with big ambitions. We’ve already started our transformation, however, we still need to find better ways of doing things because we are determined to do the very best we can for our communities.
If our vision is to be the best, then we need the best people working for us. Our people are at the heart of what we do and have the freedom to innovate, grow and develop. We recruit people who share our vision and values; people who have the drive to deliver our ambitious Council plan.
Our historic Borough is a place of marked contrasts. We are the home of a world class University at Keele, a leading light known internationally for its research and sustainability record, which stands side by side with former mining communities including some which register amongst the most deprived areas in the country. Our Borough is also a mixture of urban centres, affected by some of the same social issues facing our neighbouring city, Stoke-on-Trent, but also outstanding rural landscapes in our less populated villages. Our plans and priorities aim to address the needs of all our communities.
Our People Offer
We reward our people with a competitive range of benefits including; access to the local government pension scheme, minimum 24 days annual leave plus 5 extra days after 5 years' service, flexible working options and family friendly policies, local and national high street discounts, free car parking, green travel scheme including cycle to work and electric car salary sacrifice, free employee 24 hour employee assistance and counselling services, flu vaccination service and health checks plus development and training opportunities.
Should you wish to have an informal discussion in relation to this opportunity contact Darren Green, Streetscene Business Manager on 717717 ext 4760.
Monday 1 January 2024
Should we receive a large number of applications, then this post could close sooner than the date stated.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date.
Supporting documents and information
Download the job description and person specification
We are committed to making our recruitment process as accessible as possible for everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for disabled people, neurodiverse people or people with long-term health conditions. If you would like us to do anything differently during the interview or assessment process please contact our People team (email@example.com)
Need help completing the online application form?
Our website is designed to keep your data safe and each page is set to auto timeout after 15 minutes. Please bear this in mind when completing your online application form and follow the steps below before starting your application;
- Make a note of the vacancy reference.
- Read through the job description and person specification.
- Review our values and behaviours.
- Ensure that you have relevant job application information to hand i.e. employment details, qualifications and training, professional memberships (if applicable) and the details of two referees.
- The supporting information section of the application is your opportunity to share with us your key achievements and highlight any relevant experience. We’d like you to tell us; who you are, your values and strengths, why you feel you are suitable for the role and finally, your career goals.
- We’d suggest typing your supporting information firstly to a Word document and then copy and paste to the supporting information section of the online application. This way you won’t lose valuable information if the page times out.
Contact our People team if you have any questions regarding the online application form or require further support (firstname.lastname@example.org).