Job opportunity: Technical Assistant - Environmental Protection
Grade 8 - £32,076 to £34,834 per annum
37 hours per week
Castle House, Newcastle-under Lyme
About the job
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to join our busy, friendly and professional Environmental Protection team in transforming the health and wellbeing of our community and local environment.
This is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, creative individual to join our Environmental Protection Team. You will be joining Newcastle under Lyme Borough Council at an exciting time as we develop and improve our services under our One Council transformational change programme.
As a member of a small, committed, and hard-working team, you will be involved in both proactive and reactive work across many of the specialist disciplines that lie within the team’s remit. You will also help to maintain and promote active partnership working with agencies for the benefit of our customers. There is the opportunity for some home/remote working.
You will provide a front line customer focused response for a range Environmental Protection regulatory functions delivered by the team, there is the opportunity to become involved in the following areas including:
- Statutory Nuisance complaints and pollution derived anti-social behaviour;
- Regulation of industrial processes;
- Contaminated land;
- Air quality;
- Private water supply regulation;
- Provision of professional advice to planning and licensing teams.
You will be supported to acquire or develop your knowledge and skills to deliver a lead role in some of these areas and in utilising some enforcement tools to achieve appropriate outcomes and improvements for our Borough.
You will be organised, diligent and flexible, with good communication skills, able to work on your own initiative and balance pro-active and a reactive work programme to achieve key performance indicators. You will have an eye for detail and be comfortable working under pressure. Due to the nature of the role, there will be some out of hours and weekend working required on occasions.
The job gives a great opportunity for a varied role and will involve on-site visits, use of monitoring equipment, assessment and writing of technical report and communication with residents, customers, partner agencies and specialist consultants.
- A degree or a technical qualification in a relevant field.
- Knowledge of enforcement preferably within Environmental Health
- Ability to travel around the Borough for work purposes
Why work for us?
Newcastle-under-Lyme is a borough with big ambitions. We’ve already started our transformation, however, we still need to find better ways of doing things because we are determined to do the very best we can for our communities.
If our vision is to be the best, then we need the best people working for us. Our people are at the heart of what we do and have the freedom to innovate, grow and develop. We recruit people who share our vision and values; people who have the drive to deliver our ambitious Council plan.
Our historic Borough is a place of marked contrasts. We are the home of a world class University at Keele, a leading light known internationally for its research and sustainability record, which stands side by side with former mining communities including some which register amongst the most deprived areas in the country. Our Borough is also a mixture of urban centres, affected by some of the same social issues facing our neighbouring city, Stoke-on-Trent, but also outstanding rural landscapes in our less populated villages. Our plans and priorities aim to address the needs of all our communities.
Our People Offer
We reward our people with a competitive range of benefits including; access to the local government pension scheme, minimum 24 days annual leave plus 5 extra days after 5 years' service, flexible working options and family friendly policies, local and national high street discounts, free car parking, green travel scheme including cycle to work and electric car salary sacrifice, free employee 24 hour employee assistance and counselling services, flu vaccination service and health checks plus development and training opportunities.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Mr Darren Walters, Environmental Protection Team Manager on (01782) 742587 or firstname.lastname@example.org
5pm on Sunday 24 March 2024
Should we receive a large number of applications, then this post could close sooner than the date stated.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date.
Thursday 4 April 2024
Supporting documents and information
Download the job description and person specification.
We are committed to making our recruitment process as accessible as possible for everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for disabled people, neurodiverse people or people with long-term health conditions. If you would like us to do anything differently during the interview or assessment process please contact our People team (email@example.com)
Need help completing the online application form?
Our application form has recently been updated to make it easier to apply, please be aware that you are not able to save your application part way through so please ensure you have all information to hand;
- Make a note of the details of the post you are applying for.
- Read through the job description and person specification.
- Review our values and behaviours.
- Ensure that you have relevant job application information to hand i.e. employment details, qualifications and training, professional memberships (if applicable) and the details of two referees.
- If you have a CV you can cut and paste information easily into the form.
- The supporting information section of the application is your opportunity to share with us your key achievements and highlight any relevant experience. We’d like you to tell us; who you are, your values and strengths, why you feel you are suitable for the role and finally, your career goals.
- We’d suggest typing your supporting information firstly to a Word document and then copy and paste to the supporting information section of the online application. This way you won’t lose valuable information if the page times out.
- At the end of the form you can choose to save a copy of your application, we advise doing this.
- If you are interested in more than one role, you will need to submit a separate form for each job.
Contact our People team if you have any questions regarding the online application form or require further support (firstname.lastname@example.org)