Kidsgrove Town Deal projects
Objective 3: to maximise the leisure and recreation opportunities available in Kidsgrove
The projects in this objective have two aims. One is to provide facilities that local people want. The other is for residents to improve their health and wellbeing. These projects will improve access to sports and leisure opportunities. This will help to boost participation, activity levels and health and wellbeing for Kidsgrove’s residents. The projects also build on the Towns Fund accelerated funding, creating conditions for further investment in Kidsgrove’s leisure assets.
Investment in Kidsgrove Sports Centre
The refurbishment and re-opening of the dry and wet-side facilities at Kidsgrove Sports Centre. The centre will be managed by the local community. Town Deal investment will help to transform the town’s leisure facilities. A symbol of under-investment in Kidsgrove will be replaced with a modern and community-led facility.
A project to include further upgrades to Kidsgrove’s parks was in this subgroup. Because the funding offer was lower, the Board decided to remove this project from the TIP. This decision was not taken lightly.
Some great work had already taken place in the parks using the accelerated funding package. This included development of a masterplan. This will be very useful in making the case for funding from other sources.
- Councillor Simon Tagg (Chair) - Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council (Board member)
- Councillor Gill Burnett (Vice Chair) - Sports Centre Chief Information Officer (Board member)
- Jonathan Gullis - MP (Board member)
- Dr Emma Sutton - North Staffordshire NHS (Board member)
- Emily Verow - The King's School (Board member)
- Simon Martin - Canal and River Trust (Board member alternate)
- Rob Timmis - The King's School (Board member alternate)
- Anthony Bullock - Staffordshire County Council (officer support)
- Simon McEneny - Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council (officer support)
- Councillor Jill Waring - Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council (Cabinet member)
- Trudi Barnard - Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council (officer support)
Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council project leads
- Councillor Simon Tagg - Cabinet lead for sports centre project
- Simon McEneny - Officer lead for sports centre project
- Councillor Jill Waring - Cabinet lead for parks project
- Roger Tait - Officer lead for parks project