Japanese knotweed and other non-native plants

What can we do to help?

We have the power to take legal action (under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014) against landowners where non-native invasive plants like Japanese Knotweed are allowed to grow and spread to neighbouring properties.

We can do this through the service of a community protection notice, which deals with anti-social behaviour. It may be anti-social if:

  • you have Japanese knotweed, hogweed or certain other non-native plants growing on your property and they are likely to spread to other people’s land

  • you do not do anything to stop it spreading

You should discuss your concerns with the owner of the impacted property before you contact us.