Home > All Services > Environment > Food and Safety > Health and Safety Accidents

Health and Safety Accidents

The Council's Environmental Health service receives reports of reportable accidents and dangerous occurrences at work, for which the Council is the enforcement authority.

These reports are reviewed in line with national guidance to decide whether further investigation is required. 

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

Under the above legislation, certain workplace injuries, accidents and dangerous occurrences must be reported to the relevant health and safety enforcing authorities. These accidents are called ‘reportable’, and can now be reported directly to the HSE Incident Contact Centre. 

Who should report?

Only ‘responsible persons’ including employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises should submit reports under RIDDOR.

Reporting incidents:

Incidents can be reported online at RIDDOR The Health and Safey Executive

All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal and specified injuries only - call the Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).

There is no longer a paper form for RIDDOR reporting, since the online system is the preferred reporting mechanism. Should it be essential for you to submit a report by post, it should be sent to:

RIDDOR Reports
Health and Safety Executive
Redgrave Court
Merton Road
L20 7HS


Last updated 28 August 2015

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page