Home > All Services > Housing > Immigration Inspections

Immigration Inspections

If you want a family member to immigrate to the UK you may be required to provide a report to the British High Commission about the place where they intend to live.

The report should confirm that the proposed accommodation is adequate and will not become overcrowded if other people move in.

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council provides a service to inspect accommodation and issue a report.

  • This service costs £130
  • Payment and a completed application form are required before the inspection takes place
  • You can pay for the inspection by contacting Customer Services on 01782 717717
  • If you live in a rented property you must provide a Gas Safety Certificate with your application. This should confirm that the gas appliances in the house are safe to use. The certificate must be completed by a contractor that is registered with the Gas Safe Register. You must also provide an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) that confirms the electrics in the property are classified as ‘satisfactory’.  Your landlord should be able to provide these for you.
  • If you live in a rented property, you must provide written evidence that your landlord has no objections to your application.

It is important that you provide all the information asked for on the form. If you do not, there is a possibility the High Commission will not accept the letter or decide that the letter is inaccurate.

Please note that the accommodation must be owned or occupied exclusively by you or your family. Rented accommodation which is shared with members of another family is not acceptable.

After receiving your completed form and payment an officer will contact you to arrange a convenient time to inspect the property. During the inspection the officer will need to look round the whole property and you will be asked who occupies the house, the names and ages of all occupiers and in which rooms they sleep in.

It is our aim to make the visit and provide you with your written report within 10 working days of you making your application.

You can request an Immigration Inspection online

You can also visit the GOV.UK website for information and advice on immigration.

Last updated 6 April 2021

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page