Home > All Services > Recycling and Waste > Household Waste

Household Waste

Household Waste Banner

Tick Icon

Nappies, incontinence pads, sanitary waste

Cross Icon

Cans, tins, foil and aerosols

Tick Icon

Polystyrene, plastic tubs, trays, pots, bags and Tetra Pak

Cross Icon

Plastic bottles, card, glass bottles and jars

Tick Icon

Empty stoma and urine bags

Cross Icon

Paper, small appliances, batteries, textiles, food waste

Tick Icon Garden waste    


Your wheelie bin is emptied fortnightly and is for materials that cannot be recycled. Please do not use it for recyclable items or food waste.

Getting your bin emptied

Please place your bin at the kerbside by 6am on the morning of collection, and bring it back onto your property as soon as possible after it has been emptied.

Bin sizes

Our standard rubbish bin is a 180 litre wheelie bin. The bin is the property of the Council, and you need to keep it safely and where it does not cause problems for other residents between collections. If you do not need a bin this big, or find it difficult to store, a smaller 140 litre bin is available upon request - please contact us (link to new/replacement container order)

Households with six or more permanent residents can request a larger bin, but will need to provide further information.  Please note that an application form must be completed.  Please contact us.

If we deem your property unsuitable for a wheelie bin, perhaps because of steps from the pavement, we will give you black sacks for your rubbish. We will provide you with two black sacks every fortnight, which you must use, and are the equivalent of a standard rubbish bin.

Contact us

If you would like to ask for a different sized bin, please fill in this form or call us on 01782 717717 - or you can visit us in Castle House, Barracks Road (Newcastle town centre) or in the Town Hall (Kidsgrove).

Extra Waste

We only collect rubbish which is in your bin.  Extra rubbish in bags or boxes will not be taken, and may lead to enforcement action if it is seen as fly tipping.  If you recycle all your cans, tins, foil, aerosols, plastic bottles, glass bottles and jars, cardboard, paper, small electrical appliances, textiles, clothing, waste food and garden waste you will usually find that your rubbish fits into your bin.  Anything which doesn't fit in is your responsibility to dispose of, and the Household Waste and Recycling Centre is a convenient place to do this.

Missing or damaged bin

If your wheelie bin is lost or stolen, you will need to contact us to ask for a replacement.  If your bin is damaged during collection, please let us know as soon as possible so repairs or replacement can be arranged.

What happens to my non-recyclable household waste?

Your household waste is taken to the Energy from Waste plant on Campbell Road, Stoke-on-Trent. It is burnt to produce electricity and provides power for up to 33,000 homes in Newcastle-under-Lyme and Stoke-on-Trent

Last updated 26 July 2019

Back to the top of the page