Tell us about a change in your circumstances

If you claim Housing Benefit and your family's circumstances or income changes, it is your responsibility to tell us. 

A change of circumstances can only be backdated in your favour for one calendar month. However, if the change results in an overpayment of benefit, there is no time limit.

What we need to know about

To give you an idea of the changes we need to know about, these are some of the main things you should tell us:

  • if anyone stops or starts getting Income Support
  • if anyone's income or savings change
  • if anyone stops or starts work
  • if anyone stops or starts getting benefit, for example Jobseeker's Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Tax Credits, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit
  • if anyone comes to live in your home
  • if anyone already living in your home leaves
  • if anyone stops or starts full-time education, for example, if a child leaves school
  • if you start to let part of your home to someone who pays you rent or board
  • if you or your partner go into a nursing home
  • you are going away from home for more than six weeks
  • income details of a young person living with you when they reach the age of 18

If someone has passed away, please see our separate process.

Tell us about a change