To check if your vehicle is eligible to apply for a private hire vehicle licence with Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council please check our Private Hire Vehicle Specifications.
The application process is now Online Application Form.
You will be required to provide the following documentation:
- The correct fee (payable at the appointment - only cheque and card payments will be accepted)
- A valid MOT certificate
- A valid Private Hire Insurance certificate (This must detail all drivers of the vehicle - please note that only drivers who hold a Dual Driver Licence with Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council will be eligible to drive the vehicle)
- A V5 Log Book or if the vehicle is new to you a V5 Slip with Proof of Purchase (please note you will be required to provide the Log Book to this Council within seven days of you receiving it)
- Any vehicle which has undergone a conversion to be wheelchair accessible or converted to allow additional seating must have an appropriate certificate to prove that the conversion has been carried out to the required standard (European-wide type approval or equivalent)
- Operator Form completed by the Operator that the vehicle will be taking bookings through.
Council Garage Test
The Council vehicle safety tests have restarted. You must now book your vehicle in for a test by calling Customer Services on 01782 717717 and paying the test fee. We are currently building an online booking service. Your vehicle will need to have passed the test before you can submit your renewal application. Please note that the earliest you can present you vehicle for test is one month before the current expiry date. Please read our Coronavirus procedure for vehicle tests prior to attending to keep both you and our staff safe on appointments.
If you are unable to attend the Council Garage Test you must tell us as soon as you can. If you do not turn up for the appointment or tell us with less than 24 hours to the appointment you will be required to pay an extra fee to book the vehicle back into the garage to have it tested.
Last Updated 7 January 2021