What’s happening in Newcastle?
The Partnership (including Newcastle-under-Lyme BID, who co-ordinate Purple Flag) are proud to announce that Newcastle-under-Lyme town centre has been granted Purple Flag status for 2019/20. This says that Newcastle-under-Lyme Town Centre already has a great deal to offer and it is vitally important to build on success over the next 12 months for Newcastle-under-Lyme to maintain our Purple Flag status.
What is Purple Flag?
Purple Flag is an accreditation scheme governed by the Association of Town Centre Managers (ATCM), designed to improve the early evening and night time offering in town and city centres.
The scheme is similar to awards given out to the best beaches (Blue Flag) and parks (Green Flag). Purple Flag looks holistically at what a city or town centre can offer the general public and is based on five cornerstones:-
- Wellbeing (covering safety, care and health, regulation, services, partnerships and perceptions)
- Movement (covering public transport, car parking, pedestrian routes, crowd management, information, partnership)
- Appeal (covering food & dining, pubs and bars, late night venues, early evening, public buildings and arts and culture)
- Place (covering location, diversity, animation, design and identity)
- Policy envelope (covering data, strategy, co-ordination, leadership, partnership and community)
So, what does this mean for Newcastle?
Cities and towns across the UK who have been granted this prestigious award have benefited by seeing increased footfall, inward commercial investment, lower crime and anti-social behaviour and improved perceptions from the public. The Partnership are confident that Newcastle-under-Lyme will reap the same benefits.
There are a number of planned improvements over the forthcoming 12 months. These include:-
- Improving the use of design and public art displays within the town centre, including subways
- Continuing to improve on the late night food and entertainment offering in the early evening and night time economy
- Improving the variety of retail opportunities for consumers
- Continually promote Purple Flag
- Promote diversification of early evening and night time economy.
Last updated 6 June 2019