Safer Neighbourhood Panels (SNPs) have been established in each district of The County by Staffordshire Commissioner's Office. This follows the success of the Ethics, Transparency and Audit Panel which tests the accuracy of crime recording, examines the response of police to incidents and analyses the way they handle complaints about policing.
The panels will make sure policing in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent is open and transparent, giving local people the chance to influence how their area is policed.
Role of the panels
The role of the panels is to:-
• Ensure residents are better informed and involved
• Scrutinise all elements of local policing to ensure both the Staffordshire Commissioner's Office and police priorities are delivered
• Provide regular feedback to local policing teams and other community safety forums
• Collaborate with other functions to ensure that engagement and scrutiny work with Staffordshire Police is joined up
• Utilise and provide information that will aid greater transparency and openness
• Assist in the building of further community engagement opportunities
• Contribute to the wellbeing of the local area.
The overarching aim of the SNPs is to hold the local policing commander to account to ensure that local policing is being delivered effectively. The SNPs also seek to identify improvement opportunities or areas of challenge that may require research. Task and Finish groups may be established to do this.
This will be achieved by providing local scrutiny of issues considered by the Ethics, Transparency and Audit Panel and also examination of crime figures, use of restorative justice and complaint resolution. The SNPs will not discuss specific incidents and/or crimes (although specific ones may be selected as part of the scrutiny process). These incidents will continue to be dealt with through the proper channels - for example the non-emergency number 101 and emergency number 999.
Who will sit on an SNP?
The SNP is currently made up of members from a variety of backgrounds. These are:-
• Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough councillors
• Staffordshire County Councillor
• Local residents
For further information please visit Staffordshire Commissioner's website. (External Link)
Last updated 20 March 2020