Home > All Services > Council Tax and Benefits > Benefits > Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments

You may be entitled to a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) if you don't get full Housing Benefit, or you receive Universal Credit, and you're still paying something towards your rent.

If you think you may qualify for extra help you must complete a DHP application form listed in the Useful Documents section. To qualify we'll look at your income and expenditure and award you a payment if we believe you need further help to pay your housing costs. We won't be able to pay you to cover the cost of things included in your rent, like fuel, water or food charges.

If you don't get full Council Tax support you can also apply for additional help towards your Council Tax.  This is covered by the Council Tax Hardship Fund.  You can apply for this using the DHP application form.

In order to qualify you must:

  • Be liable to pay rent and/or Council Tax for the property you live in
  • Qualify for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support
  • Be able to provide proof of all your income and expenditure

How much you get depends on your circumstances.  Each case is looked at individually and is paid for different periods of time.  Payments are meant to help on a short-term basis only and there is no guarantee that you will actually get a payment.

The following things are looked at when making a decision:

  • Your total income
  • Whether you have any savings
  • Whether anyone else in the house can help financially
  • Whether you have any loans or debts still to pay
  • Whether you could rearrange your finances to help the situation
  • Whether you or your family have any special circumstances like ill health or disability
  • Whether you have made any attempts to remedy the situation yourself

You may be asked to attend the office for an interview to support your application. If you are housebound, a member of staff can call at your home.  We will contact you to make suitable arrangements.

If your application is successful, your payment is usually paid with any Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support that you get.

For further information on Discretionary Payments please contact the Council's benefits team on 01782 715500.

Last updated 1 April 2019

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page