Housing benefit

Apply for housing benefit

If you wish to claim help towards your rent, please apply online.

Apply for housing benefit

Please read the form carefully before completing it. Every question on the form must be answered, and you must provide all the evidence necessary. If you fail to do so, you will be asked to provide further information and this could lead to a delay in your claim being processed.

If you do not provide all the required evidence when you initially make the claim, we will allow you one calendar month to provide any outstanding information. Once you have provided all the information needed to support your claim we will aim to process it within 14 days.

Evidence we will need when you apply


  • two separate forms of identity for you and your partner
  • you and your partner's National Insurance numbers


You will need to provide documentary evidence for all income and capital declared on the claim form for both yourself and partner together with income evidence for all non-dependants. Documents that are usually required are:

  • benefit award letters, for example Tax Credits, Child Benefit
  • 5 weekly or 2 monthly consecutive wage slips
  • bank statements to cover 3 months for all accounts held
  • savings certificates/premium bonds
  • tenancy agreement, rent book, rent receipts
  • evidence of occupational pensions
  • student grants/loans award letters

Upload your documents to us

If you are self employed, please complete a Self Employed Earnings form.

Unable to  provide evidence of your wages or benefits received?

You can print off and complete a certificate of benefits received or a certificate of earned income:

Download a certificate of benefits received

Download a certificate of earned income

Contact us about housing benefit

If you have an enquiry about housing benefit, you can send a message to the team using our online form.

Send a message