Home > All Services > Housing > Facing Homelessness or Harassment

Facing Homelessness or Harassment

In line with Government guidance Newcastle Housing Advice will be open as a telephone advice service.

Guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities in the private and social rented sectors in the context of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

COVID-19 and renting: guidance for landlords,tenants and local authorities

NHA Options – Helping you find a home

The NHA service is part of Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council. You can follow the links on this website to find out how to find a home.

NHA receives nominations from the social landlords who have properties in the Newcastle-under-Lyme area. Some of the Registered Housing providers we work with are Aspire Housing, Sanctuary Housing, Staffordshire Housing Association, Wrekin Trust as well as others. It also works with some private landlords to access private rented properties.

Please bring with you any documents that you have relating to your housing issue. For example:

• a notice to quit, or notice seeking possession if you have been given one by your landlord;

• copy of letter from mortgage lender, solicitor or court if you are a home owner and your property is being repossessed;

• possession order or bailiff’s warrant if you have one;

• any letter from relatives or friends stating you must leave

Please also bring any Home Office documentation you have about your asylum/immigration status if this applies to you.

Please be assured we want to do everything we can to help you sort out your housing problem. However, any help we may give does not mean we must offer you a property. We will do everything we reasonably can to help you stay where you are, or help you find somewhere else to live. We also expect you to do everything you can to try and solve your housing problem

Duty to refer cases to Newcastle under Lyme

Under Section 213B of the Homeless reduction Act the public authorities specified in regulations are required to notify a housing authority of service users they consider may be homeless or threatened with homelessness (i.e. it is likely they will become homeless within 56 days).

Before making a referral to us please ensure

• you have consent to the referral from the individual;

• allow the individual to identify the housing authority in England which they would like the notification to be made to; and,

• have consent from the individual that their contact details can be supplied so the housing authority can contact them regarding the referral

Contacting NHA

The NHA service can be contacted during our opening hours (9am to 5pm) by telephoning the Council on 01782 717717.  Our address is Castle House, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5 1BL.
NHA website: nhaoptions.co.uk
In case of an emergency (between 5pm to 9am only) please contact 01782 615599. Please remember this is for emergencies only, if you have been made homeless and can make your own temporary arrangements then please do so. For all other enquiries, please see above.

About Us

Newcastle Housing Advice (NHA) is a service provided by the Borough Council to assist people with housing advice enquiries and help those people who are facing homelessness.  More specifically advice can be given regarding:

  • Housing register and choice based lettings
  • Housing Options
  • Homelessness
  • Mortgage or rent arrears
  • Problems with private rented accommodation
  • Illegal eviction and harassment
  • Relationship breakdowns
  • Family disputes

Last updated 23 March 2021

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page