Selling animals as pets (pet shop) licence

Activities that require a licence

These are:

  • the import, distribution and sale of animals by a business
  • businesses registered with Companies House
  • businesses or individuals operating from domestic premises for commercial purposes (it should be noted that many may not be listed with Companies House)
  • premises open to members of the public or to other businesses where animals are available for purchase

There is further guidance that we must consider, when determining whether an activity is being carried on in the course of a business. This includes:

  • whether the operator makes any sale by, or otherwise carries on, the activity with a view to making a profit
  • whether the operator earns any commission or fee from the activity

There is also government advice that anyone with a trading income of less than £1,000 should not be considered to be operating a business.