Council Tax support scheme
Who can claim Council Tax reduction?
Anyone who has a liability to pay Council Tax can apply for local Council Tax reduction, even if you already get a discount on your Council Tax. For example, if you live alone and receive a single person's discount.
People of pensionable age and working age can both apply.
- pensionable age customers will have their entitlement assessed under the default national rules
- working age customers, however, will be assessed under our banded scheme regulations. A copy of these regulations can be downloaded.
Summary of the regulations
In summary, the main elements of our banded scheme is:
- anyone with capital and or savings over £6000 cannot qualify for any help
- additional help for anyone in receipt of war pensions
- additional help is provided where the applicant or their partner is disabled
- for customers who are working a disregard is applied to their earnings