Housing benefit

Discretionary housing payment

You may be entitled to a discretionary housing payment (DHP) if:

  • you don't get full housing benefit, or
  • you receive Universal Credit, and you're still paying something towards your rent

How much you get depends on your circumstances. Each case is looked at individually and is paid for different periods of time. Payments are meant to help on a short-term basis only and there is no guarantee that you will actually get a payment.


In order to qualify you must:

  • be liable to pay rent for the property you live in
  • qualify for housing benefit and/or Council Tax support
  • be able to provide proof of all your income and expenditure

When making a decesion, we will look at:

  • your total income
  • whether you have any savings
  • whether anyone else in the house can help financially
  • whether you have any loans or debts still to pay
  • whether you could rearrange your finances to help the situation
  • whether you or your family have any special circumstances like ill health or disability
  • whether you have made any attempts to remedy the situation yourself


If you think you may qualify for extra help, please apply online.

You may be asked to attend the office for an interview to support your application. If you are housebound, a member of staff can call at your home.

If your application is successful, your payment is usually paid with any housing benefit that you get.

Apply for a discretionary housing payment