Council Tax appeals

Appealing against your council tax valuation band

Reasons for appealing banding are restricted to:

  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business
  • the balance between business and domestic use changes
  • where you move into a new dwelling and become the taxpayer for that dwelling
  • where the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer
  • where there has been building improvements, demolition or changes to the dwelling

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) values domestic properties for council tax. This valuation is used to set your council tax band. If you think your band is wrong, please contact the agency.

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do on Gov.UK. If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.