Paying Council Tax as a landlord or managing agent
We need landlords to:
- inform us when a new tenant moves in (or within 21 days of the change)
- give the full address of the property that is tenanted including the flat / apartment number, street name and postcode
- give the exact start and end dates of tenancies
- details of whether the property is furnished or unfurnished
- give the full names of each tenant; initials are not sufficient we require the full name and title
- give the previous and forwarding addresses of your tenants
- provide a copy of the tenancy agreement at the start of the tenancy
- give a contact phone number in case we have any questions we need to ask you
Although you may think it unnecessary for you to provide this information, the law does require you to notify when there are changes so that we can see who needs to pay the Council Tax and how much the charge should be.
You can make these changes by logging into your online account.
Tenants leaving the property
To let us know about outgoing occupiers, please complete our online form.
Tenants moving into a new build property
If you are renting out a new build property, you will need to let us know by completing a separate new occupier form as this can't be done on your online account.
Providing information late
Please be aware that we can fine you if you do not provide the information we ask for within 21 days of the request.
Usually we will only consider backdating a change in our records for more than 21 days if there is a good reason why the information being provided is late and we can confirm that the information is correct. To confirm a backdated tenancy we would require:
- a verifiable tenancy agreement
- proof of the tenant’s identity
- evidence of a tenancy deposit scheme receipt
- utility bills in the tenant's name and for the relevant period
- external residency checks that support the residency
- verifiable contact details for the tenant
In these circumstances a landlord may also need to sign a declaration – in doing so you will be acknowledging that the information provided is accurate and are aware of the sanctions of supplying false information.