Paying Council Tax as a landlord or managing agent

If you are a landlord renting out a property, the responsibility for paying Council Tax depends on what sort of letting arrangement you have.

The tenant is responsible when:

  • you rent the whole of the property to one person or family, or to joint tenants

The landlord is responsible when:

  • you rent out the property to several people, and they each have an individual tenancy agreement to occupy only part of the building – called ‘house in multiple occupation’ (HMO)
  • you live in the property with the tenants
  • the property is unoccupied or empty and isn’t anyone’s main home
  • you let your property to a tenant who is under 18 years old - however, an exemption will be granted until your tenant's turns 18 years old, then they will be responsible and a Council Tax account will be set up in their name
  • the property is a residential care home or nursing home

Pay Council Tax online

It's also important that you tell us about any tenancy changes that might affect your Council Tax.

Managing your Council Tax online

Many residents of the borough already manage their Council Tax online. When you register for your own free online account, you will be able to manage your account any time, any day, without the need to call us.

How to register and use