Freedom of information (FOI) requests
What are the legal requirements for a FOI request?
For your request to be dealt with according to the Freedom of Information Act, you must:
- contact us directly
- make the request in writing, for example in a letter or an email. You can make a verbal or written request for environmental information
- give your real name; and
- give an address to which we can reply. This can be a postal or email address.
You do not have to:
- mention the Freedom of Information Act or Environmental Information Regulations, although it may help to do so
- know whether the information is covered by the Freedom of Information Act or the Environmental Information Regulations; or
- say why you want the information.