Report a barking dog
What we will need to know
We will need you to tell us:
- your name, address, and a contact telephone number
- the address where the dog lives
- how the noise from the barking is affecting you
What will happen next?
Officers will visit the dog owner to see if there is a valid complaint and to find out why the dog is barking excessively.
- advise the owner of their legal duties, and offer practical help and advice
- make a series of visits to see if we can witness the problems first hand
- ask the person making the complaint to fill in a noise diary which is available to download, or log evidence using the Noise App.
When we have enough evidence, we will ensure that appropriate action is taken. We will advise you if we reach this point.
If no noise diary is returned within 8 weeks of the original complaint, we will presume that the matter has been resolved and the complaint will be closed with no further action.
Fairness and confidentiality
We investigate complaints as an independent body. Both parties are our clients and we have a duty to treat both fairly, respecting privacy and, where appropriate, confidentiality. We will not advise you of the discussions we have had with other parties.
Information received (your details) will not be released unless we are required by law to do so. Should enforcement action be taken your details will be made available to the court.