Local government elections 2022
Standing as a candidate
It is possible to stand as either a political party or independent candidate, providing you meet the eligibility standards to be a candidate. All candidates must then submit a nomination pack.
Briefing sessions for prospective candidates and agents who are interested in standing for the forthcoming elections took place on the following dates:
- Wednesday 9 March 2022 at 6pm via Zoom
- Friday 11 March 2022 at 3pm via Zoom
If you have any further queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01782 742249.
Guidance for borough and parish councillord are available to download.
To be eligible to stand as a candidate in the forthcoming local elections, you must be:
- aged 18 or over
- be either a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of any member state of the European Union
- be a registered local government elector
- Occupy any land or other premises as an owner or tenant. This needs to be within the local authority area for borough candidates, or within the parish area for parish candidates.
- Mainly or only work in the local authority area (for borough candidates) or parish area (for parish candidates).
- Live in the local authority area for borough candidates, or live within the parish area or within 4.8km of it for parish candidates.
Ward maps can be downloaded.
Useful contact information for candidates
- Elections office - Telephone: 01782 742249. Email: email@example.com
- Highways department - Telephone: 0300 111 800. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staffordshire Police (Single Point of Contact) - Email: email@example.com
- Electoral Commission - 3 Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8YZ. Telephone: 0333 103 1928 (switchboard). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org