Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) licences
Apply for a licence
- Licence fee (for up to five bedrooms): £623
- Licence fee for a member of the North Staffordshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme: £523 (discount only applies for continuous membership)
- Fee for each extra bedroom: £8.25
What you will need to apply
You will need the following certificates to apply:
- Gas safety certificate
- Electrical safety certificate
- Design, installation and commissioning certificates for the fire alarm system and/or test certificate
- Emergency lighting test certificate
- Service contract for alarm and fire systems
- Portable appliance test certificates (if applicable)
- Building regulations completion certificate (if applicable)
- Current tenancy agreements
What will be considered
- The suitability of the HMO for the number of tenants. More information on this is in our HMO standards which is available to download.
- The suitability of room sizes
- Kitchen, bathroom and toilets facilities
- Whether the proposed licence holder is a fit and proper person
- What the management arrangements are.
A licence lasts for five years. You must renew your licence before it runs out.
The licence will have conditions attached relating to management and safety.