Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) licences
Apply for a licence
- Licence fee (for up to five bedrooms): £668
- Fee for each extra bedroom: £9
What you will need to apply
You will need the following certificates to apply:
- gas safety certificate
- electrical safety certificate
- design, installation and commissioning certificates for the fire alarm system and/or test certificate
- emergency lighting test certificate
- service contract for alarm and fire systems
- portable appliance test certificates (if applicable)
- building regulations completion certificate (if applicable)
- current tenancy agreements
What will be considered
- the suitability of the HMO for the number of tenants, more information on this is on our HMO standards page.
- kitchen, bathroom and toilets facilities
- whether the proposed licence holder is a fit and proper person
- what the management arrangements are
A licence lasts for five years. You must renew your licence before it runs out.
The licence will have conditions attached relating to management and safety.