Apply for planning permission

Householder planning permission: advice and guidance

Householder planning applications are used for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary and garden of a house.

When you submit an application the first thing we do is check you've provided all the information we need to assess it. We call this process validation.

For an application to be made valid, there are a number of national and local validation requirements that must be met.

Details of these validation requirements can be found on our information requirements and validation for planning applications section of our website.     

The guidance that follows will help you submit a valid householder planning application. However, it does not guarantee that permission will be granted for your planning application as each submission is determined on its own merits in accordance with local and national policies and guidance. It does mean your application will be validated and proceed more quickly towards a decision.

Download the householder checklist

Why might an application be invalid?

An application will be made invalid if it doesn’t have all of the necessary information we need. This means we cannot process it until you send us the missing or corrected information.

Some of the most common reasons why applications are invalid are:

  • drawings are not drawn to a recognised scale – all drawings must be to a recognised scale. Elevations and floor plan drawings should be to a scale of 1:50 or 1:100. Photographs of paper copy drawings will not be acceptable
  • missing location plan and/or block plan – a site location plan shows the site in relation to the wider area. A site layout (or block) plan should provide more detailed information about the existing site and the proposed development in relation to neighbouring properties. Examples of site location and block plans can be downloaded below
  • red edges – i.e. the application site needs to be clearly defined with a red boundary line on the site plan
  • if your proposal would increase the total number of bedrooms your site plan should show the existing and/or proposed parking spaces that would be used with the property
  • if your property is located within a conservation area your application will need to be supported by a heritage impact assessment. You can download the guidance below
  • retrospective planning applications – if you are applying for retrospective permission, photographs of the development and the wider site can be helpful and you can upload these with your application via the planning portal

Download the guidance on statements of significance for heritage assets

Download the example of a block plan

Building regulations

Your proposed development may also require approval under the building regulations. You can get information and useful forms from the North Staffordshire Building Control Partnership.

Call them on 01782 232275 or visit their website.

Householder planning applications for the installation of a dropped kerb

You may need householder planning permission if you want to provide a new dropped kerb and associated driveway to your property.

If the road you want to get access from is a classified road, then you will need householder planning permission. In addition to the statutory application form and location plan, these applications should also be accompanied by the following:

  • site layout/block plan – this should be drawn to a recognised scale and correctly show the position and width of the new dropped kerb as well as details of any new hard surfaces to be provided
  • an example site/block plan can be downloaded above.

If you are unsure on the classification on your road, these details can be found on the Staffordshire County Council mapping portal.

Architects' registration board

You can check the architects' registration board register to see if someone is an architect.