Pre-application advice service
For anything but the simplest of projects we recommend that you speak to our planning department before submitting a planning application.
- research the history of the site and do a site visit if required
- look at the application against our policies and standards
- discuss the proposal with the applicant or their representative, if needed. This will be a telephone discussion
- look at the need for further investigations or key groups that need to be spoken to
- seek the views of our development team where the development proposed is major (defined as, in the case of residential development, 10 or more dwellings or, if the number of dwellings is not known, a site area of 0.5 hectares or more; and in other cases development involving floor space of 1,000 square metres or more, or, if floor space not given, a site of one hectare or more)
- let you know whether we think you should continue with your planning application either orally or in writing
In all cases, advice will be given to the best of an officer's professional judgement based on information available in an accurate and objective way, but without prejudice to the formal consideration of any future planning application which will be subject to wider consultation.