Whistleblowing policy

Notifying a responsible person of your concerns

You can raise any concerns initially with Internal Audit on 01782 742122.

Correspondence should be addressed to the Audit Manager and Monitoring Officer, Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council, Civic Offices, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5 2AG and marked 'private and confidential'.

Concerns may also be sent to whistleblowing@newcastle-staffs.gov.uk.

Concerns are best raised in writing. You are invited to set out the background and history of the concern, giving names, dates and places where possible, and the reason why you are particularly concerned about the situation. If you do not feel able to put your particular concern in writing, you can telephone or meet with an Auditor. The Auditor notified of individuals concerns must record those concerns taking a statement where they feel it appropriate.

The earlier you express the concern, the easier it is to take action, and although you will not be expected to prove the truth of the allegation, you will need to be able to demonstrate to the person contacted that there are sufficient grounds for your concern.

Disclosures may lead to disciplinary procedures and criminal investigations.