What we are doing about Walleys Quarry
Staffordshire County Council’s role and actions
The county council are responsible for determining and monitoring planning permission. It is also responsible for improving the health of the county’s population.
In relation to the landfill, the following is applicable:
- The planning permission restricts the hours of operation for most activities to 07:00 to 19:00 Mondays to Fridays, 07:00 to 13:00 Saturdays and no operations on Sundays, Bank and Public Holidays (Condition 10).
- The planning permission allows the importation of inert waste, non-hazardous industrial and commercial wastes and stable non-reactive hazardous wastes (Condition 8). Further restrictions and more specific waste types would be specified by the EA permit.
- The planning permission allows up to 880 HGV movements per full working week (440 in and 440 out).
- HGVs are permitted to access the A34 via any of three routes (Church Lane/Lower Milehouse Lane, Silverdale Road/Knutton Lane, or Cemetery Road/Keele Road) or they can use the A525 Keele Road if travelling to/from the west of the site. These are also available on our website here approved under the permission reference IDO/N/1 216 MW D4.
- The planning permission allows the landfilling operations to continue until 2042 (inert waste only after 31 December 2026).
- Advice has been sought from Public Health England in relation to any reported health concerns and advice to GPs and concerned individuals.