Personal licence

When do you need a personal licence? 

You will need a personal licence if you want to:

  • sell alcohol or be responsible for the sale of alcohol
  • be a designated premises supervisor

It will also increase the amount of temporary event notices you can apply for in a year. 

Where should you apply for the licence? 

This will depend on where you live. An application should be made to the authority where you currently reside. If you move out of the area or to another address within the area then you should notify the council where you hold your premises licence and not apply for a new personal licence. You should only hold one personal licence. 

How long does it last? 

It has no expiry date. If you have an old style licence with an expiry date you can complete the application for lost licenses to update it.