Home > All Services > Business > Licensing > Premises Licence

Premises Licence

A premises licence is required if you want to sell alcohol or offer entertainment from a particular venue.  This can be a complicated process if you are not familiar with it, if you would like any help or advice please e-mail the licensing team.

The types of licences required are as follows:

  • any business or other organisation that sells or supplies alcohol, provides regulated entertainment or late night refreshment between the hours of 11pm and 5am on a permanent basis needs to apply for a premises licence.
  • anyone who plans to sell or supply alcohol or authorise the sale or supply of alcohol must apply for a personal licence
  • qualifying members’ clubs (such as the Royal British Legion, working men’s clubs and rugby clubs) need to apply for a club premises certificate if they plan to sell or supply alcohol, and/or provide regulated entertainment or late night refreshment
  • anyone who wants to do any of the above on a temporary basis or outside of the hours of any existing licence must apply for a temporary events notice.  A temporary event notice can last up to 7 days, but the number that can be applied for is limited. 

To apply for a licence, you will need to complete an application form and send it to the licensing authority, along with the fee. You may also need to send copies of your form (depending on the type of application you are making) to the police and other ‘responsible authorities’.  Applications can be submitted online or by post.  Please see the links below for the various different types of application.

Fees under the Licensing Act 2003

Licence fees are prescribed in regulations (the Licensing Act 2003 (Fees) Regulations 2005). The fees paid in respect of applications for new premises licences and club premises certificates; applications for full variations to premises licences and club premises certificates; and annual fees in respect of premises licences and club premises certificates vary dependent on the national non-domestic rateable value (NNDR) “band” of the premises. Premises that are exempt from non-domestic rating are allocated to Band A. Premises that do not have a NNDR because they under construction are allocated to Band C.

An “additional fee” may be payable in respect of large scale events, where 5,000 or more people are due to attend at a venue that is not purpose-built.

New Premises Application 

If you wish to make an application for a premises licence to a premises that does not currently have a licence.  If you would like further information on the application process please contact the licensing team.

Full Variation Application 

This is the correct process if you wish to extend the licensable hours, make major changes to the layout of the premises or a minor variation has been refused

Minor Variation Application 

Minor Variations can only be used for small changes to the layout of the premises, small changes to the opening hours and amendments to the licensing conditions.  If they are refused there is no recourse for appeal. For further information on making an application for a minor variation please have a look at this Guidance.


These applications are for when you want to change the Premises Licence Holder.  You will need the consent of the previous Premises Licence Holder as part of the application.

Vary DPS 

These applications allow changes to the Designated Premises Supervisor, who has responsibility for the sale of alcohol at a premises.  The new DPS will need to consent to hold this position.

Annual Fees 

There are annual fees attached to a premises licence.  You should get a letter to remind you that the payment is due and you can pay these fees here.

Last Updated: 3 July 2020


Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page