For a Private Hire vehicle to meet the Council's criteria it must:-
- Not be, or resemble, a purpose built hackney carriage. A private hire vehicle may be any colour other than black.
- Be pre-booked and operated by a Private Hire Operator who is licensed by Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council
- Only be driven by a person who holds a current Dual Driver Badge with Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council
- Not wait on a taxi rank
- Be less than five years of age when first tested by the Council depot
- Have at least four doors excluding a tailgate
- Not be a convertible, but a sun roof may be fitted
- Be fitted with rear passenger windows which allow a minimum of 35 per cent transmission of light
- Not be modified from the original manufacturers specification
Appointments are required for all applications and must be accompanied by the following (original) documentation. Appointments can be booked on 01782 717717 - please note that it is the applicant's responsibility to make the appointment in good time to prevent any gap in the licence.
- A completed Vehicle Application form
- The fee – only credit/debit card payments and cheques will be accepted
- V5 Log book or proof of ownership
- A current VOSA MOT certificate
- Current Private Hire insurance
All vehicles must pass the Council’s compliance test before a plate will be issued. A vehicle test appointment will be booked at the application appointment once all of the above have been received.
Any vehicle failing to attend a scheduled Council depot test without at least 24 hours written notice will incur a fee.
Any incomplete applications will be rejected.
Last Updated 12 December 2018