Due to covid-19 (‘coronavirus’)
Brampton Museum is closed until further notice.
Volunteers are vital to our museum. They offer support, expertise and experience, adding value and enhancing the impact of what we do. They are ambassadors for the museum and local heritage.
The museum offers an interesting range of projects and roles for volunteers. We are a small, friendly and sociable team of which the volunteers are an important part.
Would you like to
- Meet new people and make new friends?
- Use your skills and knowledge?
- Learn new skills?
- Learn about local history
- Improve your CV, gain vital experience?
- Have fun?
- Help museum visitors enjoy their museum and history?
- Work with museum collections?
We have a number of volunteer roles, for example:
- Cataloguing, researching, labelling, sorting collections, photographing collections
- Cleaning the collections and collection display areas
- Front of house work including serving refreshments at events and talks
- Hanging temporary exhibitions
Volunteering can be valuable for people looking for experience to further a career in museum, the arts and tourism - it’s how many of the current museum staff started out!
Our volunteers are flexible in the hours they work, from half a day to two days a week according to the time they can spare or the task they are working on.
Volunteer Vacancies: We do not have any current vacancies for volunteers at present. We will post any vacancies we have on this page as and when they arise. If you still want to get involved you could consider joining the Friends of Brampton Museum (see below)
If you are interested in volunteering with us please complete a Volunteer Application Form (pdf 208KB) and return it to the museum. All volunteers have a full induction and are DBS checked (Disclosure and Barring Scheme).
Friends of Brampton Museum
Being a Friend
We have an established Friends group. Their aims are to support the work of the museum by:
- Organising social events such as talks and social events (see the What's on page for details)
- Fundraising for the museum to purchase items for the collections and to support museum projects
- Being advocates for the museum in the community
If you join the Friends you will
- Be invited to social gatherings in the Museum
- Receive mailings about Museum and Friends events
- Invitation to Private Views
- Reduced admission for all talks
- Above all make new friends and have fun
By joining the Friends you can help the museum, meet like-minded people and get involved!
The fees are:
Annual single Subscription £6; Family £8.50; OAP/student £5; Joint OAP £7
Making our museum even better!
The museum is currently working on a large Heritage Lottery Fund Project to improve the museum. Our main aims are to
- Improve the museum collections storage areas and create a research facility for the public
- Improve our visitor facilities by providing a café, meeting rooms, better toilets and shop. With better meeting and education rooms we will be able to accommodate larger groups and expand the activities we currently offer to the public
- To improve our temporary exhibition space so that we are able to accommodate larger exhibitions, touring exhibitions and loans from regional and national museums
We need to raise match funding to help to pay for the costs of this project.
If you would like to support our project by donating money to our fund please contact the museum on 01782 619705.
Last updated 20 March 2020