Housing enforcement guidance

Non-compliance with a notice

Where the recipient of a notice fails to comply within the specified timescales there are various options that can be considered:

  • extending the timescale if credible evidence has been given that the person responsible is making progress with the works but needs a short time extension
  • work in default, organising the work in default of the responsible person re-charging all the costs incurred
  • instigating formal prosecution proceedings
  • imposing a civil penalty for relevant Housing Act 2004 offences
  • applying for a rent repayment order for relevant offences
  • applying for a banning order for relevant offences