House and car alarms

If you are affected by a continuously sounding alarm (for more than 20 minutes) or an intermittently sounding alarm (for more than one hour), we can take action to silence it.

First you should find the alarm. If there is a number on the alarm box, you should call it as the alarm company may be able to help. You could also speak to neighbours to see if the property owner can be contacted.

If this does not help, you can contact us, and we will try to silence the alarm as soon as we can. If there is a relevant person on our keyholder register, we will try to contact them.

If we cannot contact a relevant person, we will try to silence the alarm ourselves. We will try to do this as soon as we can, but we cannot help in the evenings or at weekends as we do not operate an out-of-hours service.

We may need to get a warrant from a magistrate to gain entry to a property. We may also need to use contractors, such as a locksmith and alarm specialist.

Report a nuisance alarm