Taking the first steps
Preparing a business plan
There is an old saying:
"businesses that fail to plan, plan to fail".
So, before you start, get your ideas down in writing. For example:
- what are you going to sell?
- to whom?
- who are your competitors?
- do you need to buy stock?
- how are you going to fund your business?
The Gov.UK website has helpful advice including:
- templates to help you to prepare a business plan
- an interactive start-up organiser
Spend some time looking through all the other links on these Gov.UK pages. There are many other interesting pieces of advice about business planning. For example:
- the business planning template
- a cash flow template
- information about setting up a food business