Child exploitation guidance for taxi and private vehicle hire drivers
Young people who run away from home are at increased risk of exploitation. Missing children may:
- seem unusually emotional
- have difficulty paying the full fare
- be trying to get to a station or airport
- be reluctant to discuss their destination
- If you refuse to take a young person tell police, hospital staff, family or security staff why you cannot take them so that they’re given the necessary support .
- Keep a record of any refusals; dates, addresses, phone numbers and descriptions of customers etc.
- Always get a specific address from passengers.
Don’t hesitate. Information, however small it may seem, can help police build a bigger picture of what’s going on.