Hackney carriage vehicle licences
Apply for a licence
Before you apply for a licence, please download and read our vehicle specifications to check if your vehicle is eligible.
What you will need
- a basic disclosure certificate issued within the last 12 months or a DBS certificate registered on the update service. If you are applying as a company or partnership you will need to provide these documents for all partners, directors, secretaries and treasurers
- a valid MOT certificate if the vehicle is more than 12 months old
- a valid public hire insurance certificate (This must detail all drivers of the vehicle. Only drivers who hold a dual driver licence with us will be eligible to drive the vehicle). If you hold fleet insurance you must also provide an up to date schedule of the vehicles with the certificate
- a V5 log book or if the vehicle is new to you a V5 slip with proof of purchase (you will be required to provide us with the log book within seven days of you receiving it)
- any vehicle which has undergone a conversion to be wheelchair accessible or converted to allow additional seating must have an appropriate certificate to prove that the conversion has been carried out to the required standard (European-wide type approval or equivalent)
- a valid garage test pass certificate from our garage which is less than 8 weeks before the expiry date
- a valid certificate/report to confirm that the vehicle is fitted with a taximeter
All accompanying documents must be clear images and all of the pages for each document must be provided for the application to be considered complete.
The conditions of the licence are available to download.