Your right to privacy is very important to us and we recognise that when we collect, use or store your personal data you trust us to act in a responsible manner. This Privacy Notice tells you what you can expect when we process your data, and what your rights are.
How we use your information
- Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council needs to collect, process and keep information about you so that we can deliver services to you. Much of the information we hold will have been provided by you but some may come from other sources such as local and central government, HM Revenues and Customs and law enforcement and prosecuting authorities. We will use your personal information for a limited number of purposes and always in line with our responsibilities, where there is a legal basis to do so, and in line with your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
- When we collect personal data from you we will only use it to provide services you have requested or require. We will not collect any personal data from you that we do not need.
- We will use the information you provide to:
- Deliver our services and understand your needs
- Maintain and update your customer records or contact details
- Contact you where necessary
- Obtain your opinion and feedback about the services we provide
- Ensure that we fulfil our legal obligations
- If we collect or use sensitive personal data about you, we will always obtain your explicit consent unless this is required by law or the information is required to protect your health in an emergency. Whenever you provide sensitive personal data, we will ensure all reasonable steps are taken to protect it, such as encryption. We will also take security measures to protect your personal information in storage or transit.
- We will not provide any of your personal information obtained via the website to other companies or individuals unless required to by law. Our website may provide links to third party sites. Since we do not control those sites, we encourage you to review their privacy policies.
- Your personal data is retained in line with Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council’s Records Retention Schedule, which is based on legal requirements and national codes of practice. A copy of this document is available online here
- In some instances, data may be used in automated decision making, such as Council Tax, Benefits and Non Domestic Rates (NNDR) You have a right to object to your data being used in this way and can contact us to request that decisions are made by a council officer rather than by automated means. However, there may be legal reasons why your request cannot be actioned.
- Information that we collect will be stored and processed in databases owned solely by Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council. We have installed CCTV systems in some of our premises used by members of the public, for the purposes of public and staff safety and crime prevention and detection. CCTV is also installed on the outside of some of our buildings for the purposes of monitoring building security and crime prevention and detection. You have the right to see CCTV images of yourself and be provided with a copy of the images.
- If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where necessary, we will ask for your consent.
- The Council will not transfer your personal data outside of the European Economic Area.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) you have several rights regarding your personal data.
- You have a right to request copies of the data that we hold about you. This is known as a “Subject Access Request” and can be made, in writing, to the contact details provided below. You can also ask us why we’re holding your information, or who it may be shared with. This information is usually provided free of charge, but a fee may be charged depending on the nature and costs of providing the information. You also have the right to request that this data be provided in an electronic, portable format.
- If you have provided consent for the processing of your data, you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time.
- You also have the right to request that data be changed or erased, and to object to us processing your data or request that we restrict what we do with your data.
- For more information on any of your rights as a data subject, please contact the Data Protection Officer
- You also have a right to lodge a concern or complaint with the Information Commissioners Office and can contact them here
How to contact us
Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council is the Data Controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR. If you would like to contact us about how we process your personal data, please contact;
Data Protection Officer
Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council
Last updated 18 July 2018