Good housing is vital to health and wellbeing, the housing team has responsibility to maintain and improve housing standards.
What we do:-
- Investigate concerns about standards in the private rented sector, taking enforcement action as appropriate.
- Advising landlords on meeting their obligations
- Advising tenants on renting safely
- Enforce standards in houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). This includes student accommodation and bedsits to ensure the property meets good standards, is properly managed and complies with fire safety standards.
- Licensing of houses in multiple occupation
- Operate a landlord accreditation scheme to improve the physical and management standards in the private rented sector
- Staffordshire Independent Living Services and Disabled Facilities Grants
- Work to bring empty homes back into use, including grant aid
- Inspect houses for immigration purposes.
- Inspect caravan sites
- Investigate public health and general housing enquiries online form.
Disrepair in social housing
If you are a social tenant, complaints should be directed to your housing provider. We recommend you follow their formal complaints procedure to raise issues of concern and ensure they are appropriately logged and responded to. We can give further advice once you have received a response to your formal complaint. online form.
Contact your sewerage undertaker and ask them to investigate
- United Utilities – 0345 672 3723 or visit their website to report online
- Severn Trent – 0800 783 4444 or visit their website to report online
If the problem affects more than one property or is outside your curtilage they will investigate further if it is within your property and only affecting you it will be a private matter. If you are a tenant contact your landlord or agent first.
Last updated 9 July 2019