Home > All Services > Your Council > Elections and Electoral Registration > Registering as an Overseas Elector

Registering as an Overseas Elector

Overseas voting

Living abroad does not mean that you can no longer have your say when it comes to UK Parliamentary (General) elections and European Parliamentary elections in the UK.

All British Citizens who have been registered to vote in the UK within the past 15 years are eligible to vote by registering as an ‘Overseas Elector’. Even if you were too young to register when you left the UK, you can still register as an overseas elector if your parent or guardian was registered to vote in the UK.

In order to register as an overseas elector please go to https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Postal and proxy voting for overseas electors

Once you have registered you will need to decide how you would like to cast your vote. If you are in the UK on election day then you can go to your local polling station but if you are abroad at the time or are unable to make it to your polling station then you apply to vote by post or by proxy (appointing someone else to vote on your behalf).

If you are abroad around election time and have opted for a postal vote, you do need to be aware that your ballot papers may not arrive until very close to the date of the election and you may not have enough time to return them to us by the close of poll at 10pm on election day. In these circumstances we would advise you to appoint a proxy in the UK to vote on your behalf.


Last updated 16 April 2019

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page