Help with paying your Council Tax

If you are on low income and are struggling to pay your council tax, you could be eligible for council tax support.

To get an idea of how much benefit you might be entitled to please use the online calculator on Gov.UK.

Please note:

  • if you have recently come from abroad or returned from abroad, there are some extra rules
  • savings over £6,000 will usually mean you will not be able to get council tax support

If you need help paying your rent, please see our housing benefit information.

Are you eligible for a Council Tax discount?

Before applying for Council Tax support, it is worth checking to see if you could be eligible for a Council Tax discount.

Council Tax discounts

Join your local Freegle community

If you need free or low cost things for yourself or your home, or have items you no longer need, we can help!

Learn about Freegle