How housing benefit is calculated

Housing benefit can only be paid if you pay rent on a property that you live in. You cannot claim if you:

  • are claiming Universal Credit
  • own the property in which you live
  • pay your rent to a close relative who lives in the property with you

To work out your housing benefit, we will look at:

  • money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits and other income like occupational pensions
  • your savings and your partner's savings
  • your circumstances, such as your age, the ages of your family, whether you or any of your family are disabled, and whether anyone who lives with you could help to pay the Council Tax

If you rent your house with a private landlord, please see our information about local housing allowance.