If you are on low income and are struggling to pay your rent, you might be able to receive housing benefit to help you.
To get an idea of how much benefit you might be entitled to please use the online calculator.
- If you have recently come from abroad or returned from abroad, there are some extra rules.
- Savings over £16,000 usually mean you will not be able to get housing benefit
- There are special rules if you are single and aged under 35 years
- Most asylum seekers and people who are sponsored to be in the UK cannot get housing benefit
- You cannot usually get housing benefit if you are claiming Universal Credit.
- You cannot usually get housing benefit if you live in a close relative's household
- You cannot usually get housing benefit if you are a full-time student, unless you are disabled or have children
If you need help paying you council tax, please see our information on Council Tax support.